My First 100 Users - Lessons Learned

June 11th, 2014

It took 75 days to get my first 100 users without advertising. Launching on March 18th and getting the 100th user on May 25th. This is my lessons learned for my first app that you can apply to your own.

Brew.io fits the niche market of homebrewing. Thus, Brew.io is my test bed for learning the Google Play store and discovering what drives downloads of your application.


Things that worked:

1) Amazon and Google Play

Amazon drove the majority of my downloads after first launch. I got my first download and review on Amazon before Google Play. Very little extra effort to launch on Amazon makes it a no brainer. At the end of March (1st month), download distribution favored Amazon 79% to Google Play 21%. Later Google Play would dominate the downloads but took longer to take off compared to instant success on Amazon. Launching on Amazon also kept morale up to keep developing seeing results of downloads.



2) SEO - Play Store Title

The biggest improvement I made was changing the Play Store app title to include "Homebrewing Toolkit". "Brew.io" was not SEO friendly to grab potential users looking for homebrewing applications. Note: You can change the Play store title without having to change the actual app title (something I overlooked).



3) Twitter

Do you have an app without a Twitter account? If true, go register it now! While Twitter drove dismil download numbers, it's incredibly important to jump start your twitter account and start building your network for later promotion purposes.


Things that didn't work:


Email List

With zero sign ups the email list was a big flop. This could be due to multiple reasons, the major reason I suspect being the Brew.io website is a landing page with nothing else and very little traffic.


Future:

Advertising/Marketing

Marketing started on June 5th has shown great promise thus far. In another month I'll examine the results and writeup another blog post with my results.



A Year of F150 Driving Data - D3.js

January 14th, 2014

Time to get a new year resolution out of the way (experimenting with D3.js). The following data tracks my driving habits over the last year starting on December 23, 2012 until present day. (Note: Google & NSA, this is my data not yours). Malcom Maclean's free book D3 Tips and Tricks proved to be a great starting point for digging into D3.js and I highly recommend it if you are just getting started.

Batman's Curve


"Easter egg" in one of the graphs, I've gone ahead and nicknamed it Batman's Curve. See if you can find it.
Spoiler: In the middle of price per gallon graph there are two peaks of about equal height making it look like bat ears.


Open Source


Interested in D3.js? View my data and source code on GitHub. Feel free to fork it and see what you are able to learn with D3.js and learn my driving habits.


The F40PH Thunders Forward

June 2nd, 2013

The initial process of unwrapping UV's and starting the texturing stage of the Amtrak F40PH.

Amtrak F40PH

CrowdPixel - Start Up Weekend

March 15th, 2013

My friend Brent, of Yapay, and I wanted to try our hand at start up weekend and see what we could hack together during the weekend. We built an iOS and Android prototype for CrowdPixel to build the worlds largest human billboard. In the 2012 London Olympics the opening ceremony featured a digital display in the crowd by using 9x9 LED squares. We threw out the expensive hardware and built a way for sporting venues to engange their audience with an app (non smartphones via website) and display an individual pixel color onto the device depending on the audience members seat location.